Tuesday 19 May 2015

The One You Cannot Have, by Preeti Shenoy

Hey guys! I had disappeared for a while and I know all of you missed me... :D No worries, I’m back! On 18/5/2015, I finished my first book for this summer, Preeti Shenoy's The One You Cannot Have, the story of a great star-crossed love set mainly in Bangalore. The story circles around Aman, Anjali and Shruti - roughly a love triangle. Aman wants Shruti but Anjali wants Aman. Shruti, however, wants Aman too, but is forced to marry Rishabh instead.  That’s essentially the whole story: who ends up with who?

One good thing I enjoyed about this book was Anjali’s indirect characterization, which I thing was done particularly well. The description of Aman and Shruti’s old times was also very admirable and the author connects their seemingly irreconcilable lives together expertly. The quotes was notably articulate!

However, I personally didn't enjoy the story very much. I was even hoping the story would end soon at a few points. John Green's The Fault in Our Stars makes any story of the same genre seem too trivial and easy-on-the-heart in comparison. I also didn't like any of the characters and found the book quite tedious and very similar to Indian cinema. The opinions of the Indian characters don’t seem very contemporary and all the chapters end with the common, general sentence: Will you be able to forget him? At some points, I feel like even the author hasn’t understood her characters very well – the same character seems different at different perspectives.  

1 comment: